Did you know that chocolate is toxic for cats and dogs? Chocolate contains THEOBROMINE, a relative of caffeine. Chocolate toxicity causes stomach upsets, nervous system upsets and cardiac problems in our pets. Chocolate toxicity can be fatal if enough chocolate has been eaten. All chocolate contains theobromine, but dark chocolate and cocoa have the highest concentrations.
Theobromine causes red blood cells to become irregular in shape, making them more fragile. Even in small quantities chocolate damages red blood cells. If enough red blood cells are damaged, signs of chocolate toxicity will become apparent.
Gastrointestinal signs include:
- loss of appetite
Nervous system signs include:
We all love sharing treats with our four-legged friends, just make sure those treats are safe and don’t contain theobromine.
Seek veterinary assistance if your pet has eaten chocolate or is showing any signs of chocolate toxicity.